GATE mechanical puzzles

I am starting this thread with a hope of studying some technical puzzles. I am starting with a simple question, and I will start increasing difficulty level as we advance. Feel free to post answers.

My first question:

A body of specific gravity 3.0 is immersed in water. What is the minimum force required to pull it out?
Consider volume of body as 1 m3

P.S: Spamming is strictly discouraged, ONLY technical discussion expected.

Replies

• Reya
    Reya
    @ishu :29.4 ?
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Pravee, what volume have you considered? It it 1 m3?
    Please post your solution along with units ๐Ÿ˜€
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    2. We will discuss first question, meanwhile here is next.

In a container there is a mercury ( density=13600 Kg/m3) and on top of it is a layer of water (density=1000 Kg/m3) A body is floating on the interface of the two liquids so that it is 30% submerged in mercury and 70% in water. What is the density of that body?
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    I think it is wrong Praveena. What is the volume of body you assumed? 1m3? I forgot to mention it Sorry.

P.S: I think the question may come in CAT.
  • Reya
    Reya
    704.08 ๐Ÿ˜€

Let Volume of the body=v m^3

Specific gravity of the mercury=13.6

Vol of the body drowned in Hg= 30%=30/100=0.3v

vol of the body drowned in H2O=70%=70/100=0.7v

weight of the body= specific gravity*gravitational force*volume

weight of mercury displaced by body= 13.6*9.81*0.3 v

weight of water displaced by body= 1000*9.81*0.7 v

weight of body=weight of mercury displaced by body+weight of water displaced by body

p(row)*g*v=13.6*9.81*0.3 v+1000*9.81*0.7 v

p(row)=704.08 kg/m^3
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    So the answer to second problem is correct. ๐Ÿ˜€

The solution to first problem is force= weight of body-buoyancy force= 3000*9.81*1-1000*9.81*1=19620N
  • Reya
    Reya
    Buoyancy means weight of displaced body. Just now i came to know that ๐Ÿ˜”

PS: Sorry for spamming!
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    praveena211
    Buoyancy means weight of displaced body.
    Eureka! Eureka! even Archimedes would have spammed. ๐Ÿ˜

OK Here is another question.

3. If you have a rectangular tank (open from top) and it is completely filled with water. The dimensions of tank are 8m length, 3m wide and 2 m deep. If you move it with a constant acceleration of 3 m/s2 in the direction of length, how much water will be spilled from tank? ๐Ÿ˜€

[โ€‹IMG]
    hint: Try to find out the volume of water in triangle which equals the volume of displaced water.
    Find out area of triangle and multiply it by width.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Now shifting the point of spilling water to the center. we can calculate the angle as tan(angle)= adj side/opp side.

[โ€‹IMG]

tan(angle)=a/g= 3/9.81= 17.004 degrees

tan (angle)=h/4. where 4 is half of the container length (8m)

Now we know tan (angle) we can calculate the depth h which comes out to be 1.223m.

Now volume of water spilled=1.223X4X3=14.679m3 ๐Ÿ‘

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi friends,can any one tell me the RF applications of graphene devices.its urgentplease reply immediately.
what are the apllications of plasmonics in electronics and communication field? or in any other fields
Hey ppl i come across this series and coudnt able to find the solution. The series is: 2 2 5 11..... Whats the next term????
hi frnds , i am new to CrazyEngineers.this is geethika 4th btech.i need help in choosing my project .so plz send some projects so that i would select from them.
with just three months to go and with students coming up with strategies, IIM C, which will conduct CAT 2011 has come up with an announcement... THE PATTERN HAS BEEN...