October 15th: Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam's Birthday as WORLD STUDENTS DAY!

WoW! guys,

United Nations Organisation(U.N.O) declared October 15th 2010, Dr.A.P.J. Abdul Kalam's Birthday as the "WORLD STUDENTS DAY" on account of his 79th Birthday. Its really a very great honor given to the Indian Personality. The man damn deserves this. The students will enjoy the day meaningfully with the thoughts and works of Mr. Kalam. Definitely U.N.O done the most wonderful job that will ever happened.

SMBU-World Students Day.png

Replies

• robinjoy
    robinjoy
    Yet another baseless urban legend? Its not that i dont like it, just could not find any confirmations from reliable sources.
  • rishi0922
    rishi0922
    I salute this step by U.N.O. I proud to be an student and wan't to be a student throughout my life .....
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I think this year we should all celebrate this in some kind of a grand event. CrazyEngineers has one of the biggest community of engineering students and this year in his remembrance we ought to celebrate the World Students Day on 15th October, 2015.
    If anyone has any ideas about celebrating this day online, please share your opinions in replies below.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    We've engineers' day on September 15. Good to see Oct 15 as Students Day.
  • SREJA
    SREJA
    This is such a good thing to hear and our man surely deserves it!
  • Vignesh Ananth
    Vignesh Ananth
    Wow...It's a great respect to our Indian Scientist....I'm proud to be a student.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm curious to know the different, innovative ideas to celebrate 15th October - World Students Day. I think the schools will host debate competitions, speech competitions, essay competition etc. If you have any better ideas, please share them here.
  • Sandeep Kumar Kori
    Sandeep Kumar Kori
    Sorry guys, just wondering where did you find that 15 Oct is declared as "World Student day"?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I did some information digging on this one and turns out that it is not every year on 15th October that we are supposed to celebrate World Students Day.

The fact is:
    A. P. J. Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday was recognised as World Student's Day by United Nations. I think this was in 2011.

But on second thoughts, do we need a third party like UN to celebrate a day in the same of our former president. I think 15th October is a great day and we ought to keep it that way. His work in the life of students has been phenomenal and that day needs to be celebrated every year.

Let's start planning for one day of grand celebrations on CrazyEngineers starting 15th October 2015. What say people? If you agree, post your 'yes' in replies below. ๐Ÿ‘
  • ArunKumar Ganesan
    ArunKumar Ganesan
    Big "YES". Whatever!! Its Students Day/Engineers Day/Childrens Day, Lets celebrate Grand on 15th October 2015.๐ŸŽ‰
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Thank you for your support #-Link-Snipped-# We need more engineers like you voting a yes to make this a grand success. People need to step up for what they believe in and put their opinions forward. I have started racking my brains to celebrate this day online with fellow engineers and students. Let your friends know about it. We will all do our bits to mark this day.
  • Thimmayya
    Thimmayya
    This "MISSILE" man deserves it.Great news if this is true!!
  • ArunKumar Ganesan
    ArunKumar Ganesan
    Sure. Its my pleasure #-Link-Snipped-#. I am not sure on this, but I would like to share what I heard and saw in other web pages about Kalam's last spoken sentence. I noticed in some webpages as the last sentence that Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam said was "How do we make the Earth a 'Livable Planet'?". I suggest any ideas related to those last sentence spoken by our APJ Abdul Kalam Sir.๐Ÿ‘
  • MOUHAMAD MOOSA
    MOUHAMAD MOOSA
    The doors of the heaven was kept opened to welcome People's PRESIDENT,SCIENTIST,AUTHOR,PROFESSOR,THE MAN WHO ALMOST HOLDS ARROUND 40 DOCTRATES FROM VARIOUS PART OF THE UNIVERSITY IN THE WORLD Etc Etc.He got retirement from this UNIVERSE and going to enjoy rest of his life in heaven.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    How do we make the Earth a 'Livable Planet'?
    Excellent idea! Ways of sustainable living. Noting it down.
  • Balaji Ramanujam
    Balaji Ramanujam
    Am in.....
  • Sahil1992
    Sahil1992
    Great idea Anki ๐ŸŽ‰
  • Sahil1992
    Sahil1992
    Ankita Katdare
    I did some information digging on this one and turns out that it is not every year on 15th October that we are supposed to celebrate World Students Day.

The fact is:
    A. P. J. Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday was recognised as World Student's Day by United Nations. I think this was in 2011.

But on second thoughts, do we need a third party like UN to celebrate a day in the same of our former president. I think 15th October is a great day and we ought to keep it that way. His work in the life of students has been phenomenal and that day needs to be celebrated every year.

Let's start planning for one day of grand celebrations on CrazyEngineers starting 15th October 2015. What say people? If you agree, post your 'yes' in replies below. ๐Ÿ‘

Infinity 'YES' Anki ๐ŸŽ‰
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Looks like a lot of people are still not sure if 15th October will be celebrated as 'Students Day in India' or not. It would be great if the Government of India takes a stand and declares Dr. Kalam's birthday as a national science/research/engineering/students day.
  • Sandeep Kumar Kori
    Sandeep Kumar Kori
    Ankita Katdare

The fact is:

Hi Ankita,
    Of course we don't need third party's consent to pay our respect to a legend who inspired our generation. And absolutely i would be more than happy to be the biggest pie of this Celebration/Initiative. Let's celebrate 15th October!!!!

But on the second note please check the attached screen shot from Google which mentions "WoW! guys, United Nations Organisation(U.N.O) declared October 15th, Dr.A.P.J. Abdul Kalam's Birthday as the "WORLD STUDENTS DAY"."
    Don't you think this is misleading info. This is why i asked you to clear on fact ๐Ÿ˜€
    May be fix this just by adding year or to something which reflects our intention.

Cheers!!
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# I have made the changes. That post is from 2010 when the declaration was made. #-Link-Snipped-# wrote it thinking that it has been declared as a day to be celebrated every year. Any way, have made the requisite changes to the post. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Rahul Kawley Patil
    Rahul Kawley Patil
    Really great honor..
    Student day celebration should be like that, top 10 innovative research work of students would be honored on this day. It has always been seen that student research work is not taken into acccount. It became just formality to complete the degree.
    Comment pls..
  • Sandeep Kumar Kori
    Sandeep Kumar Kori
    #-Link-Snipped-# Thanks. ๐Ÿ˜€
    Now let's join hands to start something innovative.
    Guys!! My first suggestion would be on ground level. We have engineers in every corner of country. How about spending 15th Oct with poor people to understand their day to day life. Give them hope and love. Let them know they too have all the right and they are not alone. This will also enable us with the ground facts. Exchange IDEA's -> Make teams -> work to improve their life. Next year revisit!!
  • Vignesh Ananth
    Vignesh Ananth
    Wow.... This is a great thing . I think we may organize a open event to join hands of engineers all over the country. We must encourage the poor and orphaned child's development. We want to support them for their career.
  • ArunKumar Ganesan
    ArunKumar Ganesan
    Ankita Katdare
    Looks like a lot of people are still not sure if 15th October will be celebrated as 'Students Day in India' or not. It would be great if the Government of India takes a stand and declares Dr. Kalam's birthday as a national science/research/engineering/students day.
    #-Link-Snipped-# I would like to confirm that, as of now UNO doesn't declare world students day as October 15th. For the list of International Days declared by UNO , you can find in below link,
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    As you said it will be really great if government takes any steps to declare Dr. Abdul Kalam birthday as "World Students/Engineers/Scientist/Research Day".
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    So, October 15th is actually here. 2 days to go. No steps taken as of now. It seems students all over India will have to sign a petition and submit so that they make an official declaration.

However, even if they dont, students can celebrate this day by reading any of Dr. Kalam's books.

4 great choices -
    1. 'Wings of Fire'
    2. India 2020 - A Vision for the New Millennium
    3. My Journey: Transforming Dreams into Actions by A.P.J. Abdul Kalam
    4. 'Ignited Minds - Unleashing the Power Within'
    If you have any other ideas for celebrating this day, please share below.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    A letter from A.P.J. Abdul Kalam for all Indian citizens.
    Do read -
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Life Is Not Rocket Science
    The former-president and rocket man, Abdul Kalam shares his story.
    Excerpts from his forthcoming autobiography -
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    It's time for remembering our Honorable Ex-President Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam on his 85th birth anniversary today. Born on 15 October 1931, the missile man is remembered across India on this day every year for his phenomenal career. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Guys, there is now an official Wikipedia page to support this - World Students%27 Day Are any schools or colleges celebrating World Students' Day? Do share your thoughts on this.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Dr. Kalam, definitely was one of the most inspiring Presidents India has ever had. If you haven't yet read, please get your copy of Wings of Fire book written by Dr. Kalam: #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

I recently heard that 15th October is still NOT mentioned in the 'UN International Days' list. According to the UN official website, "15 October is mentioned as International Day of Rural Women". It's also being said that almost all the news/articles claiming that 15th October was declared as 'World Students Day' are from Indian media only.

Does anyone have any clarification on this?

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

For those who would love to remember Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam today on his birth anniversary, here are some videos to help brighten your day.

In this special session at the IIT Delhi campus, he shares his views on the topic "How India can innovate better?" Dr. Kalam shares that it is vital to understand the meaning, differences and the relationship between invention, discovery and innovation. He shares with the young audience, the mantra, the characteristics required to be a discoverer, inventor and an innovator.

India Interacts with Dr. A P J Abdul Kalam - YouTube

Jan Man: Special on Bharat Ratna APJ Abdul Kalam - YouTube

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

Top 5 Quotes on the eve of Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam's birthday as the nation remembers him.

1. Excellence is a continuous process and not an accident.
    2. Life is a difficult game. You can win it only by retaining your birthright to be a person.
    3. Man needs his difficulties because they are necessary to enjoy success.
    4. Look at the sky. We are not alone. The whole universe is friendly to us and conspires only to give the best to those who dream and work.
    5. My message, especially to young people is to have the courage to think differently, courage to invent, to travel the unexplored path, courage to discover the impossible and to conquer the problems and succeed. These are great qualities that they must work towards. This is my message to young people.ย 

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi CEans, I am doing my term paper on Fault analysis of line protection and transformer protection but I require guidance and information about this topic in order to elaborate...
Any idea for marine engineering project??Help please....
Man has been competing with nature in building marvels that is in comparison with the nature's creation.. some times even beyond nature's wonders.๐Ÿ˜€ nowadays we see that there are a...
Hello, I am pursuing M.Tech thesis and I have made a simulink model for dynamic voltage restorer(dvr) to compensate voltage sag in distribution network. I am using fuzzy logic to...
sir asked us what is meant by a browser?. Most of them told which helps to render the html pages(it is a client software that is used to interact with...